Friday, May 9, 2014

The Perfect Fit

May 28. 2014 3:58 p.m.

Dear Former Editor-in-chief,

“You don't fit with the team. You're like a square peg trying to fit into a tight circle.”

This is what you said to me shortly after I stepped into my new role at your old publication. What you don’t know is that my feelings were shattered because I thought you were right. I thought, ‘What am I doing here? I don’t belong here. I’m so different from the rest of the team.’

Fortunately a co-worker came to my rescue and changed the mood of the pity party I was having for myself. “Maybe he was trying to say that the team is weird and they don’t fit to your personality.”

I felt a little better but every now and again your voice would linger in the back of my mind. “You don’t fit.” Even with my self-doubts I managed to stay true to my personality. I like my sassy ways. I like my vibrant persona. I like that I am not afraid to respectfully speak up when I see something that isn’t quite right.

I can continue to take this as an insult or I can take it as a compliment. You see, I'm not the weird one, the people in that circle are.

Several months later I came across a quote via Twitter by ‏@Tough_Women:
“Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out?”

Point taken.

The only reason why I am still here is because I haven’t found the perfect place to shine. But then I realized that the perfect place for me is right here within my spirit.

Sincerely,

T.C.

*Never sent

No comments:

Post a Comment